View Single Post
Old April 12, 2012, 10:35 PM   #9
gunsmokeTPF

First of all, you gotta take into consideration who you're hunting with. My hunting is, or I should say was upstate NY before they operated on my 65 year old back. For deer hunting I used one of three rifles:Griffin & Howe custom mauser .270 w/2.5 Lyman Alaskin, Steyr Mannlicher Model M 7x57 w/Leupold and Winchester 94 SRC 38-55. They were all great, even when I saw no game, which was 90% of the time. Maybe it was the aftershave.

Around 7, or 8 years ago I decided to bring up a nice Custom german mauser that was worked on by G&H, with an engraved G&H mount w/2.5 Lyman Alaskin scope, nice safari sling, 375H&H. I have a few guns that I'd never bring into the woods, or even shoot, but this one's been used and I wanted to use it as well.

Looking at these guy's guns it looked like I was wearing a tuxedo at a barn dance. They all started laughing at me and kept saying I can't shoot bears. It went on and on non stop for 4 days. Even while in the head it wouldn't stop. I woke up one morning and my gun was in the rack wrapped in toilet paper. You don't insult a german gun with toilet paper, so it went back into my case. These guys had a couple of Marlin .35's, a Remington 700 30-06, etc., the typical NY guns. All I could say is that if a deer crossed my path it would've been dead. I brought it home unfired like usual.

The 375H&H is a great rifle to shoot and don't listen to people about the terrible recoil, cause terrible it's not. It's accepted in Africa for the big 5 and certainly could be used on non dangerous game. Just make sure when you go hunting that others have guns similar to yours.

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 8 queries