View Single Post
Old May 8, 2000, 10:52 PM   #20
El Rojo

I got a couple of good CA boar stories for you. First, my dad has taken smaller boars with his .22-250 and 55 grain hollow points. Let me stress how important shot placement was there.

I have shot one with a 7mm mag with I believe a 165 grain sierra spitzer boattails. That was a one shoter, but the sow still ran down the hill about 30 yards.

My next kill was a double. I shot the first one with my .30-06 with 150 grain Sierra Spitzer Boat Tails. That was a one shot kill, but the pig started squealling and rolling around, she didn't get more than 5 yards. Then I shot another one right after, and unfortunately hit him in the upper back. As we went to find the 2nd pig, we saw him walking up the other side of the hill with a slight limp and a big chunk missing out of the top of his back. He was shot in the head with the 7mm mag 165 grainers. We checked the first pig and on returning to the 2nd pig, he was no walking back down the hill towards us again. He took one more head shot at 10 yards with the .30-06 and was still not out. One final round stopped him.

I believe those 180's will probably stop a pig with a proper shoulder shot. I just loaded up some 180gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails for the .30-06. When I get a pig with one, I will get back to you.

My last comment is please do not use FMJ. I don't think you will have much luck.

Page generated in 0.02518 seconds with 8 queries