View Single Post
Old November 2, 2009, 11:13 PM   #4
jdscholer

Quote:
my Cherokee seats fold down flat making a nice flat sleeping area, couple that with moving the front seat forward and i have a semi comfortable sleeping area and i'm 6'3". why would you take the seats out? i love my Cherokee
I guess we can make this a coyote callin/SUV campin thread.

My rear seat doesn't fold down very flat or level with the rear deck. That combined with my desire for more room and storage inspired me to remove the seats. (only six bolts) Then I constructed a wooden frame, plywood covered box/platform which is level with the back deck, and extends forward about as far as the front seat would in its forward position. The lid of this box pops up and I was amazed at the gear I was able to cram into the space provided. (handi-man jack, short handled shovel, full sized axe, hand saw, hand winch, jumper cables, a couple small propane cylinders, ropes, hammer, spare flashlight, ahhhhh---I think that's it) This is all stuff that I like to have when I'm out where I might get in trouble and is also kind of a pain to have rattling around in the cab. My Cherokee is one of the few that doesn't have a top rack, and I haven't decided to buy or make a top mount cargo carrier for it yet. (but I'm gonna) I also love my Cherokee, and Mrs. jd loves hers.

Now back to the hunting. We used to do very well by setting up in spots where the brush was thick, and the coyotes were pretty much in our laps by the time they figured us out. We killed most of them with our shotguns - up close and personal. Now however I'm getting the feeling that I'm getting circled and busted by my scent before the dogs come in close. I think I need to set up in spots where I can see a little farther out at least in the direction that they are most likely to approach from.

I used to be kind of philosophically opposed to the electronic calls, but now -- I think I can deal with it. After all, if it seems like I'm experiencing an unfair advantage, I don't have to pull the trigger.coyote jim0001.jpg

coyote camo0001.jpg

Here's a couple of pics from the old days. jd

Last edited by jdscholer; November 3, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

Page generated in 0.03949 seconds with 9 queries