Thread: beginner hunter
View Single Post
Old December 11, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Fremmer

The 7mm mag will work just fine for deer (and elk). It'll be louder and have more recoil than the .30-30, but as magnum rounds go, the 7mm is not too severe in either department.

The biggest disadvantage to the 7mm mag rifle (in my opinion) is the weight and extra barrel length. Next time you get a chance, hold the .30-30, and then hold the 7mm mag. The mag rifle will weigh a lot more and won't feel as nearly as handy compared to the Marlin. By the end of the day (after you've been lugging the rifle around the woods for hours) the mag rifle will really feel heavy. The extra long barrel will seem like it is catching on every limb and branch while you're walking through the brush.

The 7mm mag is a great stand gun, but not my first choice for a gun that you have to carry a lot. Stick with the .30-30, and practice with it this summer. "Beware of the man with one gun...."

Good luck, and welcome to TFL!

Edited to add: on the other hand, I understand wanting to use your grandpa's gun, and I can see using it just for that reason. I sure do miss my grandpa....

Page generated in 0.03271 seconds with 8 queries