View Single Post
Old October 12, 2008, 11:26 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
Any others, I am sure I've left out some pretty good helps/tips.
Yeap:

RELAX

This is a fundamental of shooting that we always seem to leave out. The USAMU in its Pistol Marksmanship guide stressing relaxing on dern near every page but it seems to be left out in rifle shooting.

The position should be comfortable. No or few mussles should be used to hold the rifle. The sling should be firm not tight. If you wrist is hurting after a few rounds you're position and sling are screwed up. Stop taking so much equipment to the firing line. I've seen people wiggle around like a snake that had been shot but no killed. Grabbing pencils, score books, stopwatches, etc.

PS;
Quote:
16. drop rifle slightly after each shot to make sure you are aiming at your target
Make sure you are on your target before you shoot, not after the shot.
Have everything laid out so's you can reach them without disturbing your position between shots. The scope should be set so you can see the target by turning your head NOT getting out of position. And another pet peeve of mine is people jumping on the scope as soon as the rilfe leaves the barrel. The target frame on gonna go down, it takes a bit of time for it to be serviced and return. Take that time to rest your eyes. Don't burn them out stairing at the top of the target frame waiting for it to come up.

Another grip I have is in offhand watching people bending over to pick up ammor, write in score books, look in scopes, etc. I had distingushed hi master pistol shooters scream at people who try to police brass before the match is over. I was told that bending over screws up your balance for 20 minutes. Once you get into position stay there. Have you ammo you your shooting jacket pocket. If you need a scope have it on an extention where you can see it just by shifting your head. I personally don't see a need for a scope in offhand, you can see the spoter and scoring disk without the aid of a scope.

When I was coaching for the national guard, I wouldn't let my shooters have a scope. They only thing I allowed them to have was their score books to record calls. They could get the other info from the coaches plottng sheet.

You want to get ulsers, try coaching.

Get a copy of the USAMUs Marksmanship Service rifle guide and study it. It only cost 6.95 from the CMP Bookstore.

Main then I'm trying to say is RELAX,
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03236 seconds with 8 queries