View Single Post
Old March 13, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Fingers McGee

There's a new nipple on the market

Read on a couple other forums where there was a new C&B revolver nipple on the market for Uberti, Pietta and ROA revolvers that worked better than Tresos. This new nipple is stainless steel (??) and has an improved orifice as well as two cross drilled hole like the old Hotshot nipples had. They're available right now from Desperado Bullets for $36.00 for a set of 6. I ordered a set for the Uberti and a set for the Pietta revolvers on last Monday & they came in Thursday's mail. Plan was to try them out this past weekend in a SASS match, but the rain kept that from happening. Here are a few pictures of the new nipples. The new nipple is on the left, with a Treso in the middle and a stock factory Uberti on the right.

I measured the Uberti and Pietta nipples and compared them to stock. The Uberti SlixShot measured about .032 longer than the stock Ubertis. The Pietta SlixShot only measured about .006 longer.

I haven't tried the Uberti with the SlixShot nipples yet - ran out of time at the range yesterday. I did run about 72 rounds through a Pietta 1860 Army. I fired three cylinders full with Remington #10, Remington #11, CCI #11, and RWS 1075 caps. One cylinder with each size cap was capped with a TDC revolver capper, one with a TDC dual spring straight line capper, and one capped by hand. I did not use a "seating stick" or anything other than the capper or my thumb to seat the caps. All of the caps went on without any trouble and felt like they were a snug fit. I slow fired the first cylinder full with each size cap and didn't see any evidence of unfired caps backing off the nipple.

The load I used was 30 gr. fffg Goex thrown from a flask with a 30 gr. spout (which weighs out to 30.3 gr.); Ox Yoke Wonder Wad, and a .454 round ball cast by BPstuff llc. Every chamber fired first time. All of the Remington and RWS fired caps looked like a plus sign. Four evenly sized wings coming off the center. Most of the CCIs did the same; but some of them disintegrated or didn't split up completely. The only two instances of a cap falling into the frame/action, was with the CCIs that didn't split up completely on firing; but, they didn't jam up the gun. The hammer just flattened them to the frame. In every instance, the only cap still left on a nipple was the one under the hammer from the last shot. All of caps fell off, and none got between my hand and the grip.

The 1860 I used was 1994 vintage that has been worked over some using Pettifoggers procedures. It has coil spring & plunger hand spring and the hammer notch is filled with JB Weld.

I'm going to try to get back out to the range later this week & run the same process on my Uberti 1861 Navy. Hopefully the extra lenght won't be a problem. My 1861's have been worked over like the 1860s, so I'm going to take one of my .36 cal Piettas that is still bone stock unmodified & see how the nipples work on it. I'm also going to try a couple Wolf reduced power hammer springs & see how they act. This time I'll take my camera too.

So far, I'm really liking these nipples.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.03535 seconds with 8 queries