Thread: another 1858
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2010, 05:50 AM   #24
Doc Hoy

My two cents

About eight or ten months ago I rehabbed an 1863 Remington from ASM(CVA). It was basically a shell and needed a lot of parts. I went to VTI, Deer Creek, and Dixie. I did a one for one comparison between Dixie and VTI and found that after you consider shipping and cost for parts, there was very little difference.

Some parts were more expensive at one rather than the other but it was not consistent. At VTI, the sales person actually asked me what the catalog quoted for a price.

I think if you do comparative pricing for a small job like the repair of one pistol, you will not see much advantage in using one or the other. It is fun doing the comparison so my recommendation is that you do take the time. Also you may find that my experience is unique...that there is good reason to go to one or the other for all of the parts.

I also think you will learn a lot about availability. ASM parts are getting rare enough that you may have to make use of multiple sources in order to get everything you need. On that 1863, I had to do considerable adaptation of Pietta parts. ASM parts simply are not available in some cases. That 1863 is not a popular pistol but that could be both a good or a bad thing when it comes to finding parts in a logistic support system that no longer has an input.

Page generated in 0.02145 seconds with 8 queries