View Single Post
Old October 17, 2013, 12:01 PM   #37
buck460XVR

Quote:
Yelling out range commands to... no one... is just odd, IMHO. You'd be seen as a loon around here. Other areas/ranges can do what they want but I don't see how it makes it any safer unless there's so many shooters that one on one communication is impossible/impractical.
I gotta tend to agree. Screamin' like a drill sergeant when there is no one other than a man and his wife/child shooting one gun seems a bit on the excessive side, and may very well lead others to question your intelligence. Add to that, perhaps the man did not have a clue what the shouted range commands meant. Again, common language at a social tone in a polite and friendly manner would probably done more good. Seeing as the other folks were there first, they should have been the ones to give commands. Johny come latelies that want to take over the range tends to tick me off too.

Quote:
I asked if ok to put up targets.I yelled Hold your fire all clear guns down.
Again, seems a tad excessive to ask the only person there if it's okay to put up a target and then when given the okay, to shout range commands to empty benches. Seems you may have been trying too hard to impress the guy and his wife. This is the common story line I see in the majority of these "dumb guy at the range", Dumb guy at Gander Mountain" or "dumb gal at the counter in Wal-Mart" threads. The OP tries to impress on everyone how much superior they are to that "dumb person", either in intelligence or skill. I often wonder if the reason they get ignored by those "dumb" folk is because those folk don't like being talked down to or having range commands shouted at them for no reason from wannabee RO folks they don't know. If someone is acting dangerously at the range, I have no problem pointing out the issue. Many times it is inexperience and not intentional. Most times when given constructive criticism in a polite and friendly way, folks respond in a positive way. Talk down to them and yell and they get defensive.....especially if they are if front of friends and/or family. With so many folks new to the shooting sports showing up at our local ranges, we need to address them and their shortcomings positively and courteously. One always catches more flies with sugar than vinegar. There are always the few AHs that know it all and won't listen. That's when you need to walk away.

Page generated in 0.02852 seconds with 8 queries