View Single Post
Old August 10, 2012, 06:21 PM   #21
Tyrod

Reloading is an investment endeavor that in some cases takes a very long time to get a return. The return for most folks is directly proportional to the amount of shooting they do. Some would say there is never a return because the money you're saving is being used up by shooting more. These days it seems the industry goes into ond out of phase with supply that is relative to which way the political wind is blowing. Boolits are the most expensive component I buy. If I can find a way to reduce my boolet expenses then I can reload more economically. As with most things in life, it's a balance between time spent on reloading and money spent on components. Most reloaders don't cast their own boolits for lots of reasons. But, with the cost of any kind of boolit or any other kind of reloading supply going up 30% a year and in some cases there simply isn't any availability of components. I'm simply trying to create a method of furnishing a component where the supply has dried up. Or at least economical supply has dried up. What I'm trying to do is to create a method of furnishing a component outside of the shooting or reloading industry. One that is only minimally invested in political endeavors.

Once I get my stuff together and have a published working method then others will find it easier to accomplish the same thing. I'm not even breaking new ground. I building on the backs of other who've gone before me. Who knows, someone may figure out a safe and economical way to produce smokeless powder and primers. Assuming these new methods are competitive with commercially available alternatives then it's not out of the realm of possibility that nothing (or very little) need to be purchased from the shooting or reloading industry.

I'm retired, so I have plenty of labor I can contribute. I also have a well stocked workshop with a metal lathe and vertical mill. What I don't have is a lot of money to spend on this endeavor, so I'm going to have to go at this by bits and bobs until I can afford all the stuff I need. Maybe a month or three.

Page generated in 0.02523 seconds with 8 queries