View Single Post
Old October 12, 2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Dwight55

Fred, . . there are simply too many variables to do a blanket "better".

Having said that: my choice is based on my military experience and I echo the sentiments of the first post. That pump may save you money, but it also may cost you your life. Pull the trigger on a quality automatic and you are ready for the next pull. Also, . . . if you can afford to do so, . . . get a police type riot shotgun with rifle sights and an extended magazine. Don't try to rely on a Winchester 1200 with a full choke 32 inch barrel. Short barrelled auto with extended magazine and an open choke is the best choice.

In my house, .12 ga is king. It is a Beretta automatic and holds 8 rounds of 00 buckshot. It is the kind of shotgun that can have 4 of the 8 empties all in the air at the same time. I have no worries about shooting anything or anyone except the bg, . . . and I don't want to lose the match by being under gunned. I also don't have a neighbor closer than 800 feet, my son (when he is home) sleeps upstairs, and my wife in a shooting situation will be secured in her hideout where my .12 won't affect her. That is just one scenario.

Do you have children in a close bedroom to consider? (I don't)

Do you have pets to consider? (I don't)

Do all of your walls & windows have the ability to contain any "misses"? (It makes no difference in my scenario as the distance to my nearest neighbor is too great to harm them)

Will your wife also handle the shotgun? (My wife is in her hideout with her trusty .38 Colt)

Where will you keep a loaded shotgun that is available yet safe from little hands or prying eyes? (Mine is in the gun safe until it is needed)

Think about the different scenarios and what you have to contend with. A 20 ga will do most things a 12 will, . . . but just personally, IMHO, the 12 is a better choice if it can be done safely.

Incidentally, . . . my goto gun during the night is not the 12, . . . it is a .45 ACP within 18 inches of my face.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.03939 seconds with 8 queries