View Single Post
Old January 10, 2014, 08:48 AM   #18
Panfisher

Crock pots are fabulous for roasts, and butchering skill can be very minimal to get it done, basically it just has to fit in the crock pot with enough room left for liquid and taters, carrots, onions etc. I finally convinced my daughter after she moved away that a crock pot is her best friend, load it up in the morning and when you come home, the entire house smells wonderful. Dry soup mixes, canned soup mixes, bullion all make great additions to the roast/crock pot, but be careful it is easy to make it too salty with canned/dry mixes. I like to add some onions in at the very beginning, sliced thin they almost disappear in the broth and tastes like a french onion soup, only with meat and taters too. I can't make myself do it with back straps, but roasts cut from a hind quarter are great that way, or even just chunks of boned out meat. I had some deer neck roast once in the crock pot that we used beer for the liquid, and toward the end put in a jar of peppercini peppers and made sandwiches with some marinara sauce on hoagie buns, was pretty dang good.

Page generated in 0.01965 seconds with 8 queries