View Single Post
Old April 19, 2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Hog Buster

Some sort of live trap is the only kind that won’t injure what’s caught. Box type is what I’m talking about. Of course you have cannon nets, clam shells and such, but are more specific for catching turkeys, beaver or some other a bit more exotic critters.

As for catching coyotes or feral dogs in a box trap, good luck. Both are just about un-catchable in a live trap. They’re way too cautious. On the other hand possums and cats are very easily caught. I might add that the same ones are caught repeatedly. Coons are somewhat more cautious, but can be caught in live traps on a somewhat regular basis, but if you don’t stake the trap down they’ll just turn it over to get the bait. Once on it’s side it has been defeated and the bait can be removed from it, inside or out. Coons are slick varmints.

Every so often I have a rash of chicken killing from coyotes, feral dogs, foxes, possum and the occasional skunk. When it happens I stake out coop and blast the canines. I have never caught a fox, coyote or feral dog in a live trap. The possums and skunks are easily live trapped along with numerous cats. The cats are let go, the possums are quickly dispatched and the skunks are very very carefully dispatched, from a distance.

Page generated in 0.02309 seconds with 8 queries