View Single Post
Old March 16, 2011, 10:30 PM   #61
scsov509

I don't know, I'm still not sold that R-P brass is the culprit. I mean, it is thinner and I have seen a few problems with it in my loading experience, but it just seems strange that you're not able to get neck tension on that final round after expansion. I mean, try your other brass out for sure, but don't be surprised if you still have similar problems.

I had the same problem in 45 when I switched to Lee dies so I could use the Auto-Disk charging system. I ended up borrowing a friends dies and trying them which confirmed I could get perfect rounds with his dies alone. Then through process of elimination I found that I could use my sizing and seating dies with his expanding die and still get perfect rounds. As soon as I started using my expanding die however I started having the same problems as you. So I ended up calling Lee and getting them to send me a new expander plug, which I subsequently had to polish down anyway to make sure it wasn't overworking the neck case as I was expanding the mouth.

If you have the ability to borrow a set of dies from someone else to try the same process. Not saying it isn't that brass, but my gut says there's something not right with your expander die or how much crimp you're applying with it. YMMV...

Page generated in 0.03392 seconds with 8 queries