View Single Post
Old April 24, 2010, 12:36 AM   #16
Big_T

Long Gun=Offense; Handgun=Defense

Long guns are more for offense than defense*, unless you plan to man the parapets.

Do this simple exercise: grab the shortest broom handle you own practice clearing every nook and cranny of your house with it. Soon you'll see that in tight spaces, long guns have limitations even with good tactics. My advice is not to buy a rifle strictly for home defense.

That said, there's nothing wrong with practicing home defense with a rifle or shotgun you own for another purpose.

Another problem with rifles is power and penetration. It becomes a very delicate balance inside a home, or in a neighborhood of closely placed houses. Personally, I have a S&W 629 3" with the first three chambers loaded with shot rounds.

Next on the list for home defense after pistol is a shotgun. Plenty of folks have chimed in on that note and no more need be said. I'm partial to Mossberg 500/590, but that's because I was extensively trained on them. The Remington 870 is a classic as well Winchester and others. Load them up with a bean bag round first in the tube and you might be able to keep your family safe and yourself out of the slammer.

Last, if you must have one specifically for home defense, is a rifle. And now we get to the heart of the problem: Which one? So called "black" rifles might not suit your legal defense very well eg. "He's a gun nut, he owns an ASSAULT RIFLE!....Designed to KILL, KILL, KILL!!!" On the other hand, a bolt action doesn't really suit your needs either. I will fall in line behind the others who suggest the lever action.

*According to Jeff Cooper.

_______
The only weapon is the human mind. Caliber varies.

Page generated in 0.03098 seconds with 8 queries