Thread: Cap Questions
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 12:11 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
Also, after I fire the caps is there a tool to remove them (one of them was tighter on my nipples than the other)?
There are cap removal tools but since they are usually sized for use with single shot percussion rifles, there may not be enough room for one to fit over a revolver nipple while it's installed on the cylinder. These tools have a notch that fits on to the tapered nipple nozzle, and which is employed in a sliding motion to scrap off the spent cap. The one that I have is made from brass.
The forward edge of the tool is too wide but it could be filed and narrowed so that it will fit into the confined nipple space of a revolver.
It's just a flat edge with a notch that is "U" shaped to fit onto the nozzle. Another brand is shaped as a 2 pronged fork.
But in practice, any sharp edge of a flat piece of plastic can be used to scrap off the cap such as a credit card or driver's license. I've also used the flat edge of a piece of dowel, craft stick or twig, and many folks simply use the edge of a knife blade which I wouldn't recommend using since that's made from steel.
I suggest to find a piece of hard plastic around the house and see if it has an edge sharp enough to be useful. Even the flat plastic tab that seals plastic bread loaf bags might work, although that's not ideal either.

Last edited by arcticap; July 16, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.02653 seconds with 8 queries