View Single Post
Old November 30, 2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Quote:
So..what we have is a tactic in which you charge in while yelling, screaming, cursing, and, most vital, shooting...which means that you are using your bullets as cover.
Don't ya think you're going off the deep end - Maybe just a little bit?

This technique is neither desperate, last ditch, nor illegitimate. (You've, 'split the pie' haven't you?) If you can yell and scream while, still, firing accurately more power to you; I never could; and, I'm positive that William Ewart Fairbairn didn't require such behavior of his officers.

The type of close quarter combat Fairbairn's Shanghai Police did, most often involved moving rapidly through crowded tenements while engaging thoroughly experienced, street-harden, and well-armed criminals. These gangsters had to be fought on their own turf and, often, at moments of their own choosing in what was frequently a, 'fall back ambush' scenario.

There is no, 'clean' way to do this. Anything can happen during a, 'running gun battle'. Sometimes you will be caught in an undefensible position and left completely exposed. I remember reading that Fairbairn's officers were frequently outnumbered and needed to avoid losing momentum and being boxed in, themselves. It was to the officers' advantage to press their attacks and keep moving forward.

By all accounts I've seen, lawlessness was rife in Shanghai; and, Fairbairn was involved in a battle to, 'take back the streets'. He required his officers to cover a lot of ground and to engage frequently - often without regard for the extraordinary risks involved.

Most of what we hear about, today, involves the use of an isosceles stance and rapid fire; however: surprise action, frequent engagement, hard-pressed forward momentum, and close interaction between team members were, also, primary defense tactics of the Shanghai Police.

Yelling, screaming, emptying your weapon, and recklessly exposing yourself to incoming fire have nothing to do with the tactics you're endeavoring to analyze.

Page generated in 0.03561 seconds with 8 queries