View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012, 04:00 AM   #19
MLeake

Rick F, it so happens I also own a PPS. It is one of the more controllable and accurate small guns I've encountered. (Of course, mine has the large backstrap installed, and a LimbSaver grip sleeve over that...)

It really is too bad you guys aren't down my way, odds are I'd have a few things you'd like to have her try.

But I suspect she may be happy with the PX4, with the smaller backstrap installed.

In answer to your question about ease of learning, and full-size advantages:

1) More mass (assuming similar platforms, but in different sizes) = less recoil.
2) More mass forward (longer slide and barrel) = less muzzle flip tendency.
3) Longer sight radius makes aiming easier (though theoretical accuracy is the same with shorter barrels, practical accuracy often is not).
4) More mass = better ratio of inertia/stability for leverage against trigger pull.
5) Longer barrel = more powder burned before bullet leaves muzzle, = less unburned powder exiting muzzle, = less flash and noise.

The flip-side is that more mass = more weight to carry around, and more length and grip height = more effort required to conceal.

And, one other thing to consider, mass and length affect balance and pointability. Some people prefer longer guns; I find with revolvers that I prefer 3" or 4" barrels, and with autos I tend to prefer 4" to 5" barrels.

IE, there are subjective factors that each individual will have to decide on for themselves.

Page generated in 0.03390 seconds with 8 queries