View Single Post
Old November 24, 2001, 03:11 PM   #22
boris_01

Any dog will do. Yes. Just as any car will do in the Indy 500. Just as any gun will do in a war. etc.
Sorry for the sarcasm. But remember that the original post was about protection dog training. To suggest that any dog can be PROTECTION TRAINED is regretably wrong. If this was the case and all we had to do was what J.B.Hickok suggested, then we as professional dog trainers would be put of a job. Not to mention that the military and the police have been going about things wrong for years.
Now yes there is a difference between a personal protection dog and a police K9. But there also a lot of similarities. And for a SERIOUS protection dog, you would need most of the same qualities as a police k9 does. I cannot go into all about prey drives, defensive drives and explaining avoidance, etc. or this post would be forever long. Also it would do no good if the one reading it is not knowlegable in this type of training. But all I can say now is that there are many misconceptions, fallacies and urban legends about this type of dog training. My best advice is to educate yourself and do lots of research about the subject before making decisions or making false, misleading replies promoting more false information about subject. We as dog trainers have to deal a lot with bad images from misinformed people about this type of training. It's bad enough when the media misleads the public any time a dog bites someone. Mistaking a properly trained and properly handled dog as being the same as someones dog tied up in the backyard that bites a child.
Sorry I'm not trying to come down on anyone. But remember the original post was about whether a collie could be PROTECTION TRAINED. And I still say no. But there is always that exceptional one. Better to get a dog bred for this type of work.

Page generated in 0.03285 seconds with 8 queries