View Single Post
Old March 26, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
spacecoast

Made my first combustible cartridge

Considering the effort it takes, this one may be my last, but I wanted at least one for discussion purposes. I talked my daughter's history teacher into letting me do a show and tell with some of my Civil War-era BP pistols near the end of the school year for the AP History class, and I plan to discuss both the evolution of handguns and ammunition during the war. I thought it was important to have one of these available since they were the preferred ammo format in practice.

Using the instructions at http://www.civilwarguns.com/9508.html, construction was really pretty straightforward, and I'm sure I would get faster with practice. I can just imagine scores of people sitting on the home front making these as fast as possible to ship up to the front. However, considering the need for lube on top of the bullet (as opposed to a wad underneath), I think I'll stick to the traditional loading method at the range unless I get into a situation where speed is important.

I realize the paper probably isn't high enough on the ball, but I think this will provide a general idea of the time savings using a pre-loaded paper cartridge.

Page generated in 0.03584 seconds with 8 queries