View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #14
bamaranger

paper plates

For a long time now I have used common white paper plates as targets for my iron sighted rifles. The big 9" type at 100, the smaller 4" (?) inside 100. I buy'em at the dollar stores in the big bundles. I'll take a marker and make a 1-2 MOA circle if I'm shooting a scope, usually trace a quarter or jar lid.

On bead sights, the bead seems to fit nicely over the plate, for a consistent, repeatable hold, and I expect the impact to be centered. On a post/peep rifle, I hold 6 o'clock and expect the group at the base of the plate. I cannot consistently hold center with a post on the plate get good groups, they will string vertically. At 100, a 8 1/2- 11" sheet of typing paper works pretty good for a post/peep as well.

Typically I'll spray paint the cardboard target backer black, and staple the plate right on it for a good contrast. That all seems pretty simple, but I don't know if I've seen anybody use plates at our local range.

Heck, I don't know if I see anybody shooting irons, except the Nagant and SKS/AK guys.

Page generated in 0.02938 seconds with 8 queries