View Single Post
Old March 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #37
hounddawg

Quote:
Polishing the inside of a case mouth can cause increased muzzle velocity variation. It produces less consistent bullet grip. That won't be enough to matter except in long range rifle shooting, but it's something to be aware of. You can run a brush inside a polished case mouth to rough it up a little or you can shoot lubricated bullets (moly or HBn) to prevent the irregular surface contact intimacy from happening in the first place.
I don't do much more external case prep than wipe off my rifle cartridges necks with some never dull these days, yet I still lube my bullets with a bit of talc and a brush because of exactly what you mentioned.

I noticed on that batch of pistol bullets I did the other day using nothing more than warm water, some dish washing detergent and a splash of vinegar that all the soot inside was cleaned off the brass so if I was using that method on precision ammo I think I would skip the vinegar.

Page generated in 0.03309 seconds with 8 queries