View Single Post
Old January 1, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

For me the most useful part of the course was the legal aid and advice. One of the primary instructors is a local attorney and offered some nice insight in to the whole process of what happens after the shooting stops. Prior to the course date, when I initially called to reserve a spot in the class; he spent almost an hour on the phone with me just discussing different concealed carry topics.

What I would like to see improved upon......... range time and gun handling techniques. Call me something dirty if you want, but slowly shooting a .22 from a rested position at a target 15 yards away doesn't show anything about how skilled one is with a firearm in a defensive situation. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an armed citizenry, but the thought of some of the ladies who were there drawing and firing in public absolutely terrifies me. That's not a comment about women shooting, it's just an observation about those particular individuals. The RO also would NOT allow me to shoot standing and unsupported, and tried to keep me from shooting the S&W 617 I qualified with DA.

Instead of spending 1 1/2 - 2 hours on the nomenclature of handguns and their parts, that time could've been spent teaching safe gun handling and carrying methods. Or getting more time in at the range, or teaching failure drills, or any number of better things than reciting "hammer, firing pin, trigger, trigger guard, rear sight, barrel, front sight........yadda yadda yadda".

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE

Page generated in 0.02116 seconds with 8 queries