View Single Post
Old January 11, 2012, 10:37 AM   #13
MLeake

MOshooter65202, you are welcome, although if you really start seeing what these things can do you may not thank anybody.

Just moved to MO, but have gone looking for hogs in FL. They are very destructive, and leave fairly obvious trails. In Florida, they liked to bed down in palmetto scrub - very pointy, nasty stuff to push through for a human. My guess is that will be the norm, so in MO I would expect to find them in areas with dense, thorny brush, when they are not foraging and feeding.

After all, they move through it well, and most of their potential predators really do not.

The other thing about hogs, in my experience and in the experiences of friends, is that while you sometimes find one, you often find at least two; in one case a friend surprised a sow and hoglets, only to suddenly be surprised by 30 or so more hogs that came charging when the sow squealed. He was in a power-line cut in Texas at the time, and ended up treed up a pole for a half hour or so until the hogs lost interest.

Conclusion: If looking for hogs, having a weapon with good caliber and capacity is a very good idea. Having a buddy or two, similarly armed, is not a bad idea.

Most places that have a lot of hogs, have open season on same. They are hell on cropland.

They are also omnivores. They killed and ate a lot of wounded in the wars in Europe over the centuries.

If you really want advice on hogs, PM hogdogs; of course, he's already active in this thread, so you could just ask any further questions openly, too. (Note: He uses dogs, and normally does not use a gun. There is more than one way to skin a... you get the idea.)

Page generated in 0.02237 seconds with 8 queries