View Single Post
Old December 15, 2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Picher

I like Acraglas for wood stocks, especially older ones that may have oil-soaked soft spots, because it will run into the grain and strengthen the wood better than the paste bedding compounds. Ideally, Acraglas would be used as the first layer, followed up with a paste like Devcon. Over the years, I've used about every compound available. Preparation by routing out and roughening areas at least 1/16" deep, while leaving small positioning wood pads, is necessary to increase stiffness. Painting existing surfaces just takes up air space, but does nothing for accuracy longevity and stability under stress.

I've often managed to use Acraglas for the complete job by using hand-cut fibreglas insulation batts to keep the mixture from running as much, while retaining the penetration qualities.

Steel tubing from the hardware stores, about 1/2" diameter makes good pillars. I usually leave them flat and about 1/16" below the receiver, so bedding material can better cradle the action. It's more important to have the pillar touch the trigger guard/base plate/steel escutcheon area at the bottom of the stock, since that area is smaller and tends to compress the wood when screws are tightened. The upper section has a much bigger bearing area that needs more uniform pressure.

The trick to a good bedding job is to use enough tape on the bottom, front and sides of the recoil plate, so they won't touch as the rifle is fired and will allow the action to be removed easily. The rear of the plate is the only vertical surface that should touch bedding. Screws must be relieved by drilling out their holes in the stock, so the only places they touch are at each end.

Also, be sure to clean out any bedding material that gets into blind receiver screw holes. Accuracy of many bedding jobs is ruined by lack of screw or recoil plate clearance.

Page generated in 0.03468 seconds with 8 queries