View Single Post
Old April 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
...There a plenty of places in the country where it's either impossible or cost-prohibitive to do stress training with firearms. When I was in Louisiana I could go out in the field by the trees and practice quick draw, shooting while moving - all that stuff. I live in Illinois and there aren't any ranges that allow rapid fire or drawing from a holster...
[1] Things you do alone, like solitary practice drawing your gun, rapid fire, shooting while moving, etc., really aren't stress training. Doing these sorts of thing by yourself tend to be pretty low on the stress continuum.

[2] The best stress training is good force-on-force training. Something like that might be available in or near Illinois.

[3] A good class will add an increment of stress, because doing things while being observed by others tends to be more stressful then doing things unobserved. No one likes the possibility of embarrassing himself in front of his fellow students.

[4] Competition, like IDPA or USPSA adds stress. It's competition, and people like to do well. Also, one is again doing things under the eyes of range officers and other competitors. I'd be surprised if there aren't a number of places in Illinois where IDPA or USPSA competitions aren't regularly held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
...There are plenty of examples where people who haven't done stress firing deploy their handgun and use it succesfully....
All that means is that they were able to deal with the particular problems they faced at the time with whatever skills they had at the time. If their problems had been a little different, they might not have fared that well.

In an emergency, you don't rise to the occasion. You default to your level of training. You don't know what your problem might be if you ever have one, so you can't know in advance what you're going to need to do solve it. If your skills are up to the task, you'll probably do okay. If they aren't, you'll be unhappy with the outcome. The more you can do and the better you can do it, the luckier you'll be.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03501 seconds with 8 queries