View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011, 10:50 PM   #2
fourrobert13

I am an leo...

No...most if not all officers do not receive enough training. From my own experience, I fired 1200 rounds in the academy, then 60 rounds a year to qualify until one day I woke up and smelled the roses. I realized that 60 rounds a year was not enough, so I went to my chief and told him the same thing. Life was good, he sent me to and funded 3 training classes a year and provided the ammo. After 2008, budget cuts lead to my training be cut back to 60 rounds per year. I didn't care for that, so I spoke with my wife (also leo) and started traing on my own nickle. We budget for it and take to classes per year, plus whatever training (if any) our departments may provide. We look at it as an investment in our lives and we write it off on our taxes. One thing people don't realize is that not all cops are gun people. A lot of cops never shot a gun until they became a cop and dread when they do have to train with it. This makes things hard for instructors (like myself) who have to train these people. They could really care less and believe all the statistics they are quoted about gun fights and so on that they feel they are adequitly trained for such an encounter. I've got my chief doing firearms training twice a year now, but that could change if our budget gets cut again, but I'll take what I can get to better train my people reguardless if they want it or not. I know a lot of cops in the same boat as me and they are doing the same thing that my wife and I do because they want to be properly trained should the time come to need it. I read your other thread and it's just not possible to train all the time like military personell, but it is possible to get training, and practice if the person wants to. Just my take on the subject.

Page generated in 0.04164 seconds with 8 queries