View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
I want to make sure I understand what this is telling me. Does this mean for for 124gr & 115 gr FMJ that Titegroup is not an option?
There are some loads listed on the Hodgdon website. But what you are seeing is that Titegroup is a fast powder and that isn't necessarily the best option for 9mm. Especially for someone just getting started into reloading.

Have you looked at the Powder burn rate chart? The issue with using a fast powder on the 9mm is that it can make changes in seating depth result in some pretty dramatic pressure changes. So if you don't have adequate neck tension because you expanded the case neck a bit too much and the bullet gets driven deeper into the case when it hits the feed ramp, suddenly the pressure goes up 40% and your pistol is overpressured.

The other issue is that bullets of the same weight may vary in length due to the profile. So even though your 124 gr matches the load if it is a different bullet and a different length the pressure could be different. That is why you always start with the starting load and work your way up watching for indications of pressure.

Clearly you are free to use whatever powder you choose, but using a slower powder (where you have already seen there are lots more choices) will give you a greater safety cushion while you perfect this new skill.

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries