View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
hello all. my local pawnshop has a garand. the receiver is springfield with a mid 2 millions serial number but the barrel is a low 6 millions winchester. the stock is serviceable but the front portion and handguards do not look like they match the rear half.

they are asking 700 for it. is this a decent price?

was this gun slapped together in bubba's basement or did winchester do a lot of arsenol refits?
First, that garand is a WWII garand per that SN. The WWII garands are worth a premium. Secondly, the barrel does NOT have a low 6 millions SN. That number is a lot number. These numbers do NOT need to match. However, makers should. If the barrel is a Winchester it would have the "WRA" code.

That price is very fair IF the bore and metal is clean the stock is nice. Anytime I see a good honest garand, its over $800.

Winchester did not do a lot of arsenal refits BUT armories did. These armories rebuilt these with the parts on hand, which is why its common to have a Winchester garand with a Springfield barrel and so on and so forth. The bolt should have "SA" on it as well.

Unless theres a problem with the gun, I'd say its a buy at $700. The WWII status is a big help.

Here is my Eddystone P17 top, Smith Corona 03 A3 middle and my H&R garand bottom. I paid about $700 for my garand, and its a post WWII gun.

The garand you speak of may not last long at that price. The condition is the only wild card here.

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries