View Single Post
Old November 21, 2005, 09:10 AM   #10
Old Dragoon

I remember when we moved to town in Indiana from a farm in Ohio in 1950. We bought my Granpa's house. At the time and for a couple years, we had a coal/wood shed right beside the old two holer. I can remember walking out to the two holer in the mornings on a crisp autumn day. Smelling the wood and coal smoke and dreading the cold seat that awaited. My chore was to bring in a bucket of coal. we had a Warm Morning in the living room and a coal/wood Cook stove in the kitchen. Don't remember the name but it was Green and White. My dad built us an indoor bathroom and put in a gas heater and upgraded the cook stove and heating stove to gas the first year. We had no basement and no foundation, the foundation was built the second year. They jacked the whole house up about 4 feet, cut holes in the floor near the supports and dug the footer and set us on 3 blocks high foundation. I remember one night a stray cat came in one of the holes in the floor.
Boy do I remember and miss those crisp mornings of yesteryear.
Also while we're remembering, how about the smell of a hardwood forest in the spring, the hickory and such. being away from it i miss the heck out that smell.

I yearn for the morning that I can strap on the '58 and stroll to the woodpile with my dog.

Maybe I can talk my nephew's gramps into renting me their WV Cabin...LOL
I gotta find out where it is in WV.

Page generated in 0.04269 seconds with 8 queries