View Single Post
Old February 14, 2013, 12:30 PM   #135
Evan Thomas

Burners

Male voice: "Seven burners deployed and we have a fire."

If you listen to this, there's no "Oops" in there. It's a statement of cause and effect.

I know that there are members here who are a great deal more knowledgeable about such matters than I -- but, being a curious sort, I had a quick look into the technology of "burners," and came across this article by a SWAT lieutenant in FL. It describes a custom-made breaching ram mounted on an armored vehicle, and notes that "burn boxes, which are metal boxes used to encase burning smoke or CS canisters," may conveniently be mounted on such rams.

The writer goes on to note: "Unfortunately, the byproduct of the burn box can be fire, which can endanger innocent lives and nearby structures. The vehicle-mounted ram lessens the risk to other structures but still achieves the team’s goal of ending the incident with no loss of innocent lives." (My emphasis.)

I also came across an example of a "demolition vehicle" which may or may not be similar to that used by the S.B.S.D: the Rook. It looks like a Bobcat on steroids: it's armored, and it comes with a range of attachments including a breaching ram, grapple claw, and armored deployment platform. While a flamethrower isn't mentioned as one of the accessories, it would seem ideal for deploying a "burn box" in the manner described in the article linked above.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: punctuation.

Page generated in 0.02658 seconds with 8 queries