View Single Post
Old October 12, 2011, 06:40 AM   #15
BlueTrain

I was always impressed with the variety these old revolvers were manufactured in, as well as the low prices. I suspect they outsold Colt and S&W in total. I believe they were probably manufactured up until WWII but I doubt no later than that. Although they were small guns and low priced, some of the names remain pretty respectable, such as H&R. All of the ones I've seen seemed to have decent enough finish (to begin with, that is) and fit and some still looked pretty good, but the designs generally weren't so great. Some were similiar to S&W breaktops or as most of these here are, of Webleys.

According to the 1940 (I think it is) Shooter's Bible, the common calibers were .32 and .38 S&W but I seem to recall a few listings of calibers I don't recognize. Unfortunately that would have to be another post. But by 1940 the Bulldogs were ancient history.

It isn't too uncommon, even today, for a new cartridge to make a splash and then to never be heard from again. Supposedly the Python was supposed to be available in something like the .256 Magnum or something like that but I don't think it got off the ground.

Say, would a Baby Bulldog be a Pup?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02975 seconds with 8 queries