View Single Post
Old October 21, 2005, 10:54 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

The hand of biology may reach out. Some depressions, schizophrenias and the like clearly have neurological causes. They develop slowly, even in the best kids and you can see a good kid sink into troubled waters.

While some branch of the family may not have trouble - you never know when some recessive genetic horror might combine in your kid.

It also the case that for some reason, your kids might face a stressor that the family has not faced before. A stress-diathesis model predicts than then you might see a crack.

Since that can happen and kids can pull the wool over your eyes, it would be my choice that I would not allow kids up through the roughest of the teen years unsupervised access to loaded guns. My call - my caution is that you cannot guarantee that you know your kids' lives, stresses and biology.

You give kids' curfews for the same reasons. I'm 57 also and a psychologist, and a father. I see too many good parents with troubled kids. There are forces that lectures don't touch and genetics/biological surprises.

Page generated in 0.02929 seconds with 8 queries