View Single Post
Old December 23, 2012, 12:15 PM   #147
Uncle Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
First, to which "specific collected attributes" do you refer?
Light, easy to handle even with one hand while engaged in the athletics of "boots on the ground" combat, lethal but low recoil caliber to maintain aim while shooting in dynamic situations, at least semi automatic for rapid fire, large capacity magazine avoiding having to reload at short intervals, all collected in one weapon meant to engage with numerous armed enemy personnel equally or better equipped.

Quote:
Second, self-defense or defense of others is not a "legitimate civilian activity?
Yes it certainly is, but weapons meant for small unit combat against numerous armed enemies aren't required, there are other less competent crowd-killers that are still competent anti-personnel weapons in personal defense situations. I have a number of them, and I'm licensed to CC in New York. A private citizen will probably never have to defend his home or self from attack by an enemy patrol armed with military small arms.

Quote:
I do not dispute that firearms are weapons with lethal potential, but millions of gun owners own, possess, and shoot firearms without the "military's filters," and they get through the day without shooting anyone.
If the military demands that its recruits demonstrate discipline, mental stability, responsibility and competence before they are handed an M-16 of their own, and limits their use of their weapons to combat situations, what makes it reasonable that there's no such requirements on civilians who want to possess and control exactly identical firepower? You can't legally fly an FA-18 with a loaded and armed M61 Vulcan aboard by just buying one no matter how much money you have.

Quote:
Timothy McVeigh and the 9/11 terrorists killed thousands, yet no firearm was used in either incident.
So what? Many more have died from wanton use of combat arms in civilian hands than from trucks full of ammonium nitrate and nitromethane.

Quote:
I'd be curious to know whose hands you would define as "such inappropriate hands."
Anyone who has not met the military's requirements to demonstrate discipline, mental stability, responsibility and competence to have access to weaponry with capabilities (save full-auto fire which is an insignificant difference when assaulting unarmed unprepared unaware targets like 6-year-olds) identical to the military's combat weaponry.

Page generated in 0.02786 seconds with 8 queries