View Single Post
Old January 29, 2012, 08:45 AM   #32
Daryl

Quote:
I'm sure this has been said before, but so sick and tired of people trying to kill large animals with minimal cartridges.(can I shoot an Elk with a .243? or a Grizzly with a 30-30? ). C'mon people!, Aren't we as hunters obligated to dispatch animals as effectively as possible ??
Sorry; just venting against those with egos bigger than their rifle or pistol craft. Too many animals run off to die or don't die, only to suffer for the rest of their lives. ( I am not an animal rights guy ). Just heard a story about the one that got away, because some tool who is a "great shot" took a pop at an elk @ 500 yards away and hit him but didn't recover his animal.
So, because someone shot at an elk at 500 yards, didn't hit it right, and lost it, you start a thread against minimum cartridges for game?

You didn't even list the cartridge used, and with good reason. That's not the problem. The problem is someone shooting beyond their capabilities, and a bigger cartridge won't make them a better shot. More likely, it'll make them a worse shot, and even less able to make that 500 yard attempt.

I'd much rather see someone using a .243 for elk, and limiting their shots to 150 yards or so than someone using a 30/378 Wby and shooting at 500 yards.

I've make the occasional long shot, but I've also spent my life hunting open country where I get a lot of practice doing it. Even with that, I won't take the shot unless conditions are nearly perfect.

So while I agree with you (use enough gun), I'd stress even more to know how to use it at the range you're going to shoot at. The includes the limitations of the cartridge and firearm, as well as the shooter's.

Daryl

Page generated in 0.02200 seconds with 8 queries