View Single Post
Old June 3, 2005, 11:06 PM   #14
yekimak

I find it almost comical that we rely on such small cartridges for personal defense, I mean, would one use a 9mm or .45 acp on a deer hunt? Sometimes these cartridges are not even useful for the put down shot at close range (friend had 2 shots of .45 hardball glance off a caribou, though I am uncertain as to how well he placed these shots).

My point is that the basic cartridges available for self defense are puny, weak, and at best, barely adequate. Our intrigue with one shot stops and hyper performance ammo can be a dangerous infatuation. My personal example was with Aguila IQ ammo. It fit in with M&S's theories to a t, but even simple tests show that it is ineffective with the 9mm version penetrating a whole 3-4" in jello.

Light and fast don't always work, there seems to be some exceptions, most notably the .357 125 gr loading, but it is running at close to 1400 FPS. Unfortunately, I have yet to hit upon the magic formula that will determine for each caliber the proper bullet weight and speed to get the optimal performace for each cartridge, so we are here, stuck reading data, and guessing from 3rd hand reports of what works and what don't, and hoping what we have chosen will work well enough when the time arises.

I have never shot anyone. I hope to never have to, but if it happens, I know that it ain't gonna be like t.v., bad guys flying around and dropping dead, and it will probably be the worst day in both our lives.

Page generated in 0.02460 seconds with 8 queries