View Single Post
Old June 3, 2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Webleywielder

Oh hell Castle Bravo, all the "experts" have been discredited by someone at sometime.

I have been following the "Great Stopping Power Debate" for about 40 years. I have copies of the works of almost all the well known "experts". I have shot deer size and smaller animals with various handguns and the lighter, faster, expanding bullets are better. I once put a .22lr through the body of a gopher at a range of 6 inches and the damn thing crawled another 10 inches and disappeared down its hole. When you get a "one shot stop" remember to thank the gods for helping out a little. The "Great Debate" always reminds me of a story I heard about an early IPSC Champion (a senior moment is causing his name to escape my mind) when he shot a small deer type animal in South Africa while he was there for the World Championship. After hitting the animal twice with a .45 ACP with no effect the man said something to the effect "I guess the little deer hasn't read Jeff Cooper's little red book!"

Of all the experts who have put their opinions in writing, Marshall and Sanow is the most credible I have seen based on their methodology. Does it have some flaws? Yes, but they appear to be less flawed than anything else I have seen in the last 4 decades, most of which is based on non-empirical or irrelavant methods. The similar results for shotgun slugs is due to the fact that the slugs are all about the same shape, traveling at about the same speed and made of the same homogenous material. Remember you cannot be stopped more than 100% so yes it is possible for a handgun bullet to be just as effective as a slug under all but the most extraordinary circumstances.

"In a world devoid of semiautomatics, a properly set-up Webley is the ultimate full-size self-defense handgun."

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries