Thread: Resizing issue
View Single Post
Old October 23, 2012, 09:27 AM   #25
F. Guffey

Bart B. I was at a the Market Hall Gun show visiting a friend when a proud owner of one of his guns suggested the rifle he purchased had head space problems? He presented a case as evidence, my friend instructed the proud owner to bring the rifle to the shop for examination, I did not get involved! THEN, the proud owner moved down the isle, and I asked “May I see that case” being more that happy he carefully handed me the sling he was using to transport the case. After examining the case I ask him if that was the only case he had, I ask him if he was firing that one case over and over etc.. I informed him he was lucky the case did come apart when he lowered the ram on his press, things got a little tense, the builder of the rifle suggested he get another opinion, he sent the proud owner to a smith in the building with the instructions he was not to inform the smith what I said nor was he to inform the smith who built the rifle.

Time passed, then the proud owner returned, he was not happy, the smith tore the case apart and measured the case body thickness, his observation, .0025” is a good thickness for paper, it is not a good thickness for a 35 Whelen case body, then he ask “Is this the only case you have , are you firing this case over and over and over etc..??” The proud owner complained the smith did not ask him if it was OK to rip his case apart.

As a good gesture I offered to form 200 cases for his new rifle, all I needed was a chance to measure the chamber length from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber. His answer was '”NO!”.

The proud owner did not have an exemption.

F, Guffey

Page generated in 0.03539 seconds with 8 queries