View Single Post
Old October 23, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levant
Saying that buying ammunition is as crazy as canning urine doesn't make sense to me.
Your confusion may partly stem from the changing of the argument, mid-stream.

Owning 27,000 rounds of ammo makes as much sense as canning urine.

"Buying ammo" makes as much sense as canning urine.

See the difference? Owning 27k rounds is not identical to "buying ammo".

I should think (though my internet experience causes me to doubt it now) that we could all agree that "some number" of ammo begins to make about as much sense as canning urine. Is that number 27 MILLION rounds, 270 thousand, 27 thousand? Somewhere there's a line that most everybody could draw.

Now, second logical fallacy is the transfer of "it doesn't make sense" to the assumption that "it should be illegal".

We are free to do all sorts of things that don't make sense. My thinking that it doesn't make sense is not synonymous with my thinking that it should be illegal.

Personally, I agree with the statement. Owning 27,000 rounds of 22 ammo for the average person makes about as much sense as canning urine, possibly less, since it could be argued that collecting that much ammo contributes to the shortage which contributes to the perceived need to collect ammo. It becomes circular. I don't think canning urine will become circular.

However, I believe in the power of the free market and it will eventually stabilize, with or without the guy who collects 27k rounds. When it does, most of those guys are going to be selling at a loss, realizing that they won't use that much is 5 lifetimes.

Page generated in 0.02767 seconds with 8 queries