View Single Post
Old August 11, 2008, 10:01 AM   #36
kraigwy

ThreeGun: If you want brain or Mental Training ( which I believe is 90% of shooting) Go to the CMP website and check out their book store. They have several books on shooting and mental training, put out by the Army Marksmanship Unit. The ISU (International Shooting Union) is big on mental training. CMP has several books on this subject and are reasonably priced. like about $6.95 on the average.

One thing you dont want to forget is continuing training in the fundamentals. Practice Bullseye Pistol (for pistol) and High Power for rifle. Keep your fundamentals while you play with your combat or defence type training.

Don't scorn at conventional target shooting (bullseye and high power rifle). You go to the range with these guys, they'll eat your lunch at your combat game.

Its like all these sniper rifle shooting fellows and their sub minute groups. The 10-X ring on the high power target is about 2 mins. I've been shooting highpower for 30 years, I've seen few clean 600 or 1000 yard. When the rubber meets the road, its what the actual target tells you, not what you get from a bench with sandbagged rifles.

Same with Bullseye Pistol. Try shootng the NRA Slow fire 50 yard target. Its a bit smaller then your combat style targets fired at 7-15 yards.

In my younger days as a police officer. We use to go out for coffee after shift. I picked the best pistol shooter on our shift and challenged him to shoot to see who pays coffee. I bought a hell of a lot of coffee, but in the end he was buying the coffee.

To keep myself humbe, I shoot the NRA 50 yard SF target with my little 642 pocket pistol. Do I do any good, NOPE, but it sure tighten's my groups at 15 yards with that little revolver.

Learn the mental aspect. Don't ever let up on the fundamentals.

I have problems with a lot of the PRIVATE Shooting Schools, but that warrants another Topic.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03801 seconds with 8 queries