View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 04:06 AM   #18
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
But there's lots of things we used to be able to do, but can't anymore..
This statement intrigues me. We are discussing a concept that is enumerated in the constitution, been ruled as an individual right, and incorporated to the states. What were we able to do at one time and cannot do anymore that was directly linked to a basic human right from our constitution?

Quote:
So if criminals are armed with hand-grenades, should I also be allowed to own hand-grenades? It's a slippery slope you see..
What makes you think they aren't? I have had people ask "so you think we should all be able to have nukes?" I ask them how much does it cost to build and maintain a military grade tactical nuclear weapon. "Enriched uranium" and "weapons grade plutonium" aren't just fancy words. Finding the material necessary for an effective nuclear reaction is difficult because it needs to be separated from the useless radioactive junk. This means "expensive". That's just material to build the darn thing. We haven't even mentioned the equipment to get to that point.

Laying hyperbole to the side (what with "nukes" and everything) we could extend the cost perspective to jets, attack helicopters, tanks, and warships. Dillon M-134's are expensive. M2 .50's are as well. I can't fathom the cost of low quantity purchasing of spent uranium 105mm rounds. The point is that ownership of such devices is already cost prohibitive, much like legal machine guns today (and don't tell me criminals don't have those either).

Page generated in 0.02209 seconds with 8 queries