View Single Post
Old August 14, 2009, 11:13 AM   #33
Hank15

If I remember correctly, O/Us are favored for skeet because you can use two different chokes. i.e. full choke for the first shot, mod. for the second. I am not 100% on the choke selection, but it's something along those lines.

Another purpose of O/Us is quick second shots. Although most people who shoot for fun probably won't notice, some will find the autoloading action of a semiauto to be undesirable. Some people even claim that the heat dissipation from semiautos affect their vision.

Those two aside, I think everything else is just personal preference. Most dedicated trap guns will come with a monte carlo stock, but I've seen people swap it out for a field stock. Some people can follow through with the 28" Wingmaster light contour barrels, while others will screw up with any barrel shorter than 30".

Just try out some guns before you make your purchase.

Many people on the forum prefer the Beretta 39Xs while others are happy with their 1100s. I would try those two before any other gun. Also, if you are willing to spend $1400+, you can consider the Benellis. They seem to have their fair share of positive reviews.

Other guns such as Stoegers, Spartans, Mossbergs, etc. receive mixed reviews. If you're lucky, you may end up with a wonderful O/U for less than $500. If not, you may find yourself with an expensive blunt object.

If you want to stay under $2000 for an O/U, your choices are pretty much: 1. used B guns 2. Ruger 3. the ones I mentioned above.

Page generated in 0.02237 seconds with 8 queries