Thread: 270 Winchester?
View Single Post
Old December 22, 2011, 10:37 AM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
He said it was too fast and would zip thru a deer with little expansion.... Small hole..Small hole out.... What is your opinion and what is a good bullet that will expand?
Horsefeathers. Bullsqueeze. Nonesuch.

If anything, a 130gr @ 3000 f/sec bullet of conventional construction might fragment explosively..... I had a 130gr Winchester Silvertip do that- still killed the deer.

Quote:
A 130 grain bullet going 3000 fps causes a devasting wound.
I think you meant "devastating"....... (I'm not sure how deadly a deva sting is....) That might be the only complaint I can think of re: the .270 on deer. At close ranges, there can be quite a bit of "bloodshot"/bruised meat around the wound, particularly if the animal is shot high in the shoulder or neck, such that bones are hit. A lot of guys like to shoot them there, as they usually drop to the shot that way. It also blows bullet and bone fragments through some good meat......

I prefer to shoot them in the lungs, and use a 150gr SGK boat tail @ 2900..... they may run a bit, but none has gone very far, and all have left a good blood trail..... still makes a mess of the lungs and heart, but I don't eat those.

Last edited by jimbob86; December 22, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.02498 seconds with 8 queries