View Single Post
Old September 2, 2000, 08:53 PM   #2
Seronac

Try this:

Slice the meat (venison, London Broil or brisket) in strips 1/4" thick, and 1" wide, and as long as you like. Place the sliced meat in a flat container with a tight-fitting lid (Rubbermaid or Tupperware make some good ones).

Mix equal parts Worchestershire sauce and soy sauce (or teryaki sauce, if you like that), add some water, garlic (and/or onion) powder, salt and pepper (you might also consider chili powder) and a little liquid smoke. Make enough to cover the meat or fill the container. Put the cover on tightly and let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Turn it over or shake it a few times too, (maybe when you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night! ) to make sure that the marinade is getting in everywhere.

Next morning, spread the slices out on a screen (1/2" hardware cloth with vegetable oil on it, to help keep the jerky from sticking), sprinkle with more garlic powder, salt and pepper (and chili powder) to taste, and put it in a 125-to-150-degree oven for about 4 hours.

You might also consider putting aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to keep your significant other from making you clean the whole oven! You can just take the foil out when you're done and throw it away or recycle it.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I've made jerky, so this recipe may require some modification, but you get the idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArmySon:
I've been using plain ole' hot pepper and salt for awhile now. I think it's time for me to experiment this year with something new.[/quote]

Aaagh! This confounded "Ultimate Bulletin Board" needs a spell-checker, and grammar-checker!

[This message has been edited by seronac (edited September 02, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03587 seconds with 8 queries