View Single Post
Old August 22, 2001, 08:36 AM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

GreaZ, a few things.....

One, I doubt the lady in question will be doing any serious competition for a while. At the beginner's level, the important thing that the rookie needs to do is break birds. Rookies need some victories.

When I started on doves, after casual clay shooting many years ago and some ground game, it took maybe a box of shells for me to get my first couple doves. The next box may have had 4 or 5 birds to show for 25 shells, then the one after some more, etc.

Two, the best practice for doves is doves.Any clay shooting will help in getting used to the gun, but clays don't flare,dip,evade,etc, like doves do. This can get frustrating, if I get 3/3 straight, I smile. That's after 40 years of dove shooting.

I do use maintained lead sometimes, but oft I swing through.Sometimes I just shoot the darn thing. It depends on the shot and the distance. Knowing what to use comes with experience.

Agreed on a good coach, tho not all good ones have all those letters. And a few that do, aren't.

Congrats on your win,that took grit,endurance, determination, and effort. Kudoes...

Page generated in 0.02197 seconds with 8 queries