View Single Post
Old April 21, 2015, 06:11 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Part of what I'm trying to figure out: I don't meet the legal minimum age to have a receiver transferred to me, but I can buy a rifle. Can I have a receiver sent to an FFL who has the tools I need for them to hold it while I work on it, and then have it transferred to me once I have done enough work for it to be considered a rifle? If so, I could have it sent to the school, barrel it and attach the stock there, and then have the school (who does have an FFL) transfer it to me.
Who is going to say it's a rifle?

You are talking about a bare wannabe receiver that has never been built as either a rifle or a pistol. That makes it a "receiver" or "other." The BATFE position is that whichever it is first built as is what it is. Build your receiver into a rifle, and you will always have a rifle. Build it as a pistol, and it's a pistol forever.

Even if you have it sent to an FFL and you finish it on his equipment, when you get finished you'll still have a bare receiver that has never been a rifle or a pistol. We know the laws regarding age for transfers of rifles and handguns. I can't recall ever seeing any discussion of an age criterion for transfers of bare receivers to persons under the age of 21.

I think you are wandering into uncharted territory, and with the BATFE that's probably never a good idea.

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries