View Single Post
Old June 1, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
waterhouse

Quote:
"... The bullet follows a curved path, first going up from below, passing thru the point of aim, rising up above it..."

NOT TRUE!!! A bullet never rises above the Line Of Bore.
He said passing through the point of aim, which I take to mean the line of sight, not the line of bore. You are correct about the not rising above line of bore, as well as about your description of the bullet crossing the point of aim, but I still think wogpotter was correct in what he said.

Quote:
Wogpotter - envision a straight line from the muzzle to the bullseye. This is called "Line Of Bore", or LOB.
That isn't the way I envision a line of bore.

For example, let's say there is a target 700 yards away, one meter off the ground. I want to shoot it with my 45/70. Due to bullet drop, I have to point the rifle well above the target.

If I were to draw a straight line from the muzzle to the bullseye the line would go approximately from my shoulder height to the center of the bullseye. The bullet will start off above this line (what you define as LOB) and if I am going to hit the target it will never travel below this line.

I think line of bore is actually closer to imagining you have a laser boresighter. The perfectly straight line that a bullet would travel if there was no gravity or air resistance, represented by the laser, is the way I think of line of bore, but perhaps I have my terminology confused.

I think wogpotter had it correct. There is line of sight, which is a straight line from the sight to the target. The line of bore, labeled line of departure in the diagram, is the path the bullet would travel in a vacuum. The actual trajectory of the bullet rises to meet the line of sight and then falls to meet it again, typically at one early distance and then again at the distance the rifle is sighted in at.

Last edited by waterhouse; June 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries