View Single Post
Old December 4, 2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Tejicano

I often say that the only gun purchases I regret are the ones I didn't go through with.

About 30 years ago I made up a short list of guns I really wanted. On that list was a full-auto Thompson. A few years later when further registration of full-autos was banned - within the week - I went out and bought my first machine-gun which was a MAC-10 because I couldn't find a Thompson for sale at just that time.

A few years after that I did see a registered 1928 Thompson SMG in the original case with all the extras going for (IIRC) $2,500 at a gun show. Even though I did have more than that in savings and could have bought it without any impact to my lifestyle that seemed like just too much money to spend.

Today a Thompson like the one I saw would be worth more than $30,000 - probably much more. While I can afford it that amount could impact my future plans so it is not in the cards. If I had bought the TSMG I saw at that gun show not only would I have one of the guns from my list but I would have made a very good investment.

As a consolation I have picked up an Auto-Ordnance M1927 semi-auto with drum magazines and have plans to register that as a SBR so I will have a similar gun.

These days I always have a mental list of guns I am looking for and when I find one, if the price is close to reasonable, I buy it without a second thought. I have bought many more guns than the ones which were on my original list - some that I didn't expect I would ever be able to afford when I made that list. (Back then AK's were un-heard of and a FAL would have cost me three month's pay.)

So my advice would be to make up a fixed list of a few specific guns which are core to your interests. Keep your eye on the market and know prices and values. You might not be able to afford much now but that will not always be the case.

Page generated in 0.03535 seconds with 8 queries