View Single Post
Old October 10, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Bill Akins

Quote:
Shortwave wrote:
The $140 would be a deal in these parts as well.

Congrats Bill and enjoy.
Thanks shortwave. I'd like to get a shorter barrel for it and attach that Cutts compensator to it, but finding a good deal on a good shape Remy 11 twelve gauge barrel is hard to find. I saw several but they cost as much as I could get the whole gun on another auction for. There is one on Ebay right now for a good price, around $20.00 (so far), but its exterior is real badly pitted and the inside of the bore is a moon landscape. So no go on that one. Plus the decent barrels I did see for sale weren't already cut either. So unless I can come across a good shape barrel for a reasonable price soon, although I don't like cutting an original barrel down, that's probably what I'll do and then re-attach the Cutts compensator and reinstall the bead front sight too. Unless anyone here has a Remy 11, 12 gauge barrel they would like to sell for a reasonable price?

I'll probably keep the original 30 inch barrel on my other Remy 11 "sportsman" version, and simply continue my project with it where I installed a standard Remy 11 five shot tube to replace the "sportsman" two shot tube, and will continue that project with installing an aftermarket mag tube extension so the tube will hold nine or ten shells. While keeping the original 30 inch barrel length for hunting and clay shooting on that Remy 11.

But with this Remy 11, that I just won with that Cutts comp, I just have to make that one look like Clyde Barrow's Cutt's compensated shortie for home defense, but with a mag tube extension, although not a real long mag tube extension like I'm putting on my other one, because I don't want this one to have a real long barrel, plus the Cutts comp on the barrel has to be able to clear the mag tube when the barrel recoils. So that limits the length I can cut the barrel and still have the Cutts comp attached and the mag tube extension has to match up to the correct length for the cut barrel to recoil.

But if after measuring, I find that the barrel will be too long for my liking (if I attached a mag tube extension to it), then I'll just keep it the five shot tube that's already on it so I can cut the barrel shorter and the Cutts comp on the end of the barrel can still clear the end of the mag tube during recoil. The barrel recoils about four inches rearward. So the rear of the Cutts comp has to be a tad over four inches further out than the end of the mag tube in order for it not to hit the mag tube when the barrel recoils.

Once I get the Remy, I'll just have to measure and then make my decision on what the barrel length will be, and if I will install a mag tube extension or not. Probably not, because I'd only get one or two shots more anyway if I wanted to keep the barrel short. Just have to see.

I've seen that Remy 11 with the Cutts comp, "Clyde Barrow" short barrel mod clone done by others (only without a mag tube extension) and really like how it turned out. But my barrel will be at least 18 inches long, and maybe several inches longer. For the $140.00 I've got in it, I can't go wrong. Heaps cheaper than a modern tactical/combat semi auto short barrel one, and does the same job. Plus with it already dinged up, I won't get upset over "first ding" like on a new one. Lol.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.02277 seconds with 8 queries