Thread: Head shots ?
View Single Post
Old December 4, 2009, 06:52 PM   #49
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryblu
A head shot does the same thing to an animal. You end up with tough meat. The animal died tense, and with a lot of adrenalin in his system. A heart lung shot allows the animal to die relaxed. That's what I was taught a long time ago, when I had the responsibility of putting meat on the table.
I certainly can't follow that logic.

First off, a head shot deer, properly head shot, is DEAD instantaneously. There is no stress. It is alive one millisecond and dead the the next. The heart stops instantly for all intents and purposes. No pulse, no dispersal of adrenaline, even if it gets released by the adrenal gland.

Second, the brain is what signals the release of adrenalin. A head shot deer doesn't HAVE a brain. No brain, no adrenaline.

Third, I have killed my fair share of deer over the years. I've seen them bolt like lightning for 150 yards and I've had them DRT. I've had them lay there kicking for a minute or two and I've had them barely twitch... and yes, I've even had head shot deer. I didn't shoot them but I've cooked and eaten the meat. I have NEVER seen any discernible difference in the taste. Does all venison taste the same? No, it doesn't, but there are SO many factors influencing the taste that I am confident that even if adrenaline was among those factors it would be heavily masked by all the others.

Page generated in 0.03913 seconds with 8 queries