View Single Post
Old December 6, 2004, 04:15 PM   #28
CAGoatee

Sacroscant Information

Quote:
As to "LE Tactics", there are very few that I consider sacrosanct, especially when so many come originally from the (apparent) dregs of "civilian" marksmanship and training. Husbands and wives should be exposed to Team Tactics. Responsible shooters should know how to clear a corner, reload from cover, shoot from the confines of a drivers seat and disarm an opponent.
Rich,

I appreciate VERY much your efforts both in print and with TFL, to get valid information out there to those people who neither have combat, nor LE training. Every grunt and cop in the world started out completely ignorant of those tactics until receiving training, and gaining experience. The information in the magazine and here online is invaluable for that.

What I was reacting to, and maybe in hindsight I should have just let it go, were Pat's remarks about "bump fire bozos"; and seldom posting online, when he is a contributer to SM, and these very "bump fire bozos" can - and probably do - read that publication (and therefore are reading all the info that he contributes).

I guess I also reacted, and maybe in hindsight it may not be worth it; or even a good idea, in voicing my opposition to your magazines title. I mean it is NOT a magazine published by, or for, SWAT teams. And in reality, I think that if you are honest with yourself, that you would admit (at least privately) that the use of the title "S.W.A.T. Magazine", is a marketing ploy to generate a wider readership base. In short, you are using the SWAT acronym as a marketing tool.

Like I said earlier, if you had called it, "American Home Defense", for example, that would not bug me at all. Just as it does not bother me that members of your magazine's staff, post information here to counteract all the postulations of the self-proclaimed "experts" (these "Gun Shop Professors" as Pat calls them), who hand out all this bad information that could get a person killed (who doesn't have the proper training and experience). And I applaud your every single effort in that regard!!!

As for the "base metal" that gets pinned on LE academy graduates chests, you are correct that, that piece of 'tin' isn't worth much as a commodity. However that's not what the 'badge' is about. It's a symbol of governmental authority that tells all, that the wearer is authorized; and mandated, to enforce the laws of the Federal, State, County and and/or City governments (and, if the agency is a excellent one, a symbol of pride to the officer wearing it). (Not very many people want to; nor are they qualified to, do that dangerous and often thankless task). And I'm sure you wouldn't scoff at that little trident emblem that Jeff G. used to wear (earned) either.

Lastly, I am very well aware that many firearms skills have been developed, or enhanced by non-sworn members of society (as I once was, and now that I am retired, have returned to that former category). I am very grateful for all the non military and non-LE personnel who developed some of the fine firearms that I used to defend my life with, and the lives of others. I am sorry that my postings, and criticisms, led you to infer that I was somehow denigrating those who were never LEO's. It was NOT my intent whatsoever, to slight any firearms owner/user who neither combat military personnel, nor cops. I am not one of those "jerk" macho cops (or former cops), who look down their noses at people who never had a badge pinned on their chests. As cop, I was willing to lay down my life to maintain order and peace in society. It was my duty, obligation, and job. Nothing more and nothing less.

The best to you and all contributers to your publication, the information is very much needed in these increasingly dangerous times we live in. It's just that I've never liked the title (and that's simply my opinion), and is in NO way a slight to the life-saving information contained within it.

Happy Holidays, and stay safe!

"Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it." (Anon.)

Last edited by CAGoatee; December 7, 2004 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
CAGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07037 seconds with 8 queries